Prolong Your Dog's Life
Cresskill Animal Hospital provides a full range of preventive care services to help your dog live a longer, happier life. We aim to detect problems early, before they become severe and costly.
Our veterinarians make their annual preventive care recommendations based on the guidelines established by the American Veterinary Medical Association and American Animal Hospital Association. We then customize our recommendations based on your dog’s hereditary factors, age, medical history and lifestyle.
Puppy Preventive Care:
We believe starting puppies off on the right track can help them lead longer healthy lives. At your puppy’s first appointment we will go over their previous veterinary care and vaccines, breeder recommendations and answer any questions you have for routine care and training. We will also:
- Perform a complete physical examination
- Perform fecal and giardia testing
- Make nutritional recommendations
- Plan a vaccination schedule including core vaccines until they are 16 weeks old
- Make training recommendations and suggestion classes or qualified private instructors
- Discuss microchipping
- Review spay and neuter recommendations
Annual Preventive Care for Dogs Typically Includes:
- At least one annual Physical Examination at which time our veterinarians will take a complete medical history, make nutrition recommendations, assess behavior, and review any known medical conditions. During the exam our doctors will perform a:
- Ear and Eye Examination
- Cardiopulmonary (Heart and Lung) analysis
- Abdominal Palpation
- Dental Exam
- Dermatological Exam
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Vaccines based on your dog’s lifestyle and/or breed. Core Vaccines include:
- Bordetella (Kennel Cough)
- Our veterinarians may also recommend additional vaccines such as leptospirosis, Lyme and Influenza.
- Parasite Control Products to control parasites such as heartworms, intestinal parasites (such as round worms), fleas and ticks. Controlling these parasites helps protect your dog and your family members from easily transmitted parasites. We recommend:
- Heartguard Plus and Frontline for year round heartworm, flea and tick prevention
- We also recommend and carry Interceptor and Parastar Plus
- Diagnostic Testing to confirm the absence of heartworms or other internal parasites and early disease screening tests to help identify any internal issues which cannot be detected during a thorough physical exam. These include but are not limited to:
- 4dx snap test- detects heart worm, Lyme disease, ehrlichia, and anaplasmosis
- Fecal testing and giardia screening
- Full in house lab testing equipment for same day results, sometimes within the hour for an emergency case
- Full out house lab testing with next day results
- Your veterinarian will also discuss other services, such as dental care or microchipping that will benefit your dog’s overall health and wellbeing and advise you on any questions you might have regarding your dog’s health
As your dog ages and moves into their senior years, we recommend twice yearly visits to make sure they are maintaining a healthy weight, and no new issues have arose such as heart murmurs or other internal organ dysfunction.